Saturday, August 30, 2008

Track Review: Bloc Party - 'Mercury'

I've decided that Bloc Party has to be pulling some kind practical joke on the indie world. I, along with many others, praised Silent Alarm. I forgave them for A Weekend In The City, a truly horrific sophomore effort that happened to have enough cool moments to keep me moderately interested in the possibility of a return to form on their third album.
So now said third album, Intimacy, has arrived (at least in digital form), and I'm officially done with this band. Here's where the practical joke comes in: first single 'Mercury'. Are we really supposed to take this seriously? Containing the most unappealing vocal hook this side of [insert awful vocal hook here] - complete with 'Gimme More'-esque pitch shifting, I might add - I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about the song. Is this dance music? Is it supposed to ellicit some kind of emotional response with lyrics like, "I'm sitting in Soho / trying to stay drunk"?
I just don't get it. Maybe I'm a hater, but this song is terrible top-to-bottom. It's pretentious, annoying, and thoroughly unenjoyable. I want to continue to have hope for you, Bloc Party, but I think I'm moving on at this point.
Clicky that title way up thurrr, or just listen here.

No comments: