Friday, December 19, 2008

Track Review: Crystal Castles - Air War

Pitchfork finished up their top albums list today, and the most surprising entry (in my opinion) was Crystal Castles' self-titled debut at number 15. Not that it didn't deserve to be there - because it most certainly did - but most people seemed to have dismissed it pretty quickly based on the 8-bit nature of its production.
I was one of those who loved the album all year, mostly because Crystal Castles is one of those rare groups who create dance music out of something you wouldn't normally dance to. Take 'Air War' for example. The beat is simple enough, with various vocal samples playing in the background. But my god, does this not make you want to fucking dance? I put this on at work one time, and one of my distinctly non-indie loving co-workers said, "I feel like I'm at a sweet party."
And really, there's no better way to describe Crystal Castles, especially when listening to 'Air War'; it's like getting a VIP pass to that exclusive afterparty where all the cool kids are hanging out. I guess that's one of the reasons why so many people hate them, too, but personally I'm ready to grab a drink and mingle.

1 comment:

roygbiv said...

This is a really awesome track. Good song to review. :)