Friday, March 6, 2009

Track Review: Camera Obscura - "French Navy"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm not going to lie: I'm in a really fucking bad mood today. All the usual stresses that go along with being a university student have culminated into one giant grumpfest this afternoon, and everything seems to be pissing me off.
That said, it is really, really difficult to be angry when Camera Obscura is making such catchy music. My Maudlin Career comes out April 20 (pre-order here), and lead single "French Navy" is a luscious girl-group inspired pop song about falling in love with sailors. Does it get cuter than that?
Of course, this is Camera Obscura we're listening to, meaning "French Navy" isn't without its melancholic touches. "I wanted to control it / But love I couldn't hold it," the chorus cooes, before going on to discuss being criticized for letting that naughty sailor boy break her heart. The arrangement here is absolutely gorgeous, fully belonging on a 60s dancefloor. If there's one word I would use to describe this track, it's "scrumptious". Eat it up.

Camera Obscura - "French Navy"(Download)

2 comments:

roygbiv said...

mmm this song is some of their best stuff <3

Sam said...

Summer in my ears.