Friday, March 6, 2009

Worth A Listen: Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele – “Meet Me In The Garden”


I have a confession to make: I have a thing for ukuleles. Is it that they look like tiny guitars? No, I could just look at regular guitars from far away, same difference. I think it’s their immediate calming effect – can you remember the last time that the strums of a ukulele made you sad or mad? Nay nay, my friends; they make you glad. So it only makes since that, building on my previous post concerning the ukulele-fronted The Burning Hell, I would seek out another act making use of this wondrous instrument.

Alas, I bring you Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele. Every iota of this track screams “please imagine sitting beside a pool on a lazy sunny Saturday afternoon in July, feet dangling in the cool water.” This is just the kind of vibe that the ukulele was built to exude. In fact, I believe the song itself is about the seduction of a pool boy by his employer. Naughty!

However, I believe that Dent May gives his ukulele too much credit, for it is his perfect vocal delivery that makes the song. He delivers a solid lower register with just the right inflections on the lyrics, but is still able to bust out a nice falsetto to soar above the arrangement when he needs too. A great song to be sure, but this isn’t just a man and his uke; there is a full instrumental arrangement with neat little electronic blips which is great, but sometimes that magnificent ukulele gets a bit overshadowed. That’s just a minor quibble though, so don’t let it get in the way of your enjoyment of this track that makes you pine for those long summer days. You can purchase his debut album, The Good Feeling Music of Dent May, here.

Meet Me In The Garden (download)

No comments: