Thursday, May 28, 2009

Billboard Thursday: Glee Cast - "Don't Stop Believin'"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
While it's not often I get to discuss my two loves - music and trashy television - together on YE-LID, such an opportunity has presented itself! Fox's latest attempt at relevance, teen dramedy Glee, premiered earlier this month. I caught the pilot last night, and then to my surprise, the showstopping final number performed on the show was number four on the Billboard charts. Lucky me!

Now, don't get me wrong, no one's going to mistake a broadway cover of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" for a novel idea, but the vocals here are absolutely brilliant if you're into this style. The lead girl Rachel is pitch perfect, clearly a superstar-in-the-making in her field (if she's not already; I don't pay too much attention to theatre). It's really amazing to watch these incredibly talented kids sing.

At this point, Glee looks pretty archetypal. It has the jock who's hiding his true talent (music!), the bitchy Christian cheerleader, the queeny gay kid, the sassy black girl, the outcast, and the disabled kid who's actually really good at broadway. I do, however, have high hopes for Rachel, who's hilarious personality could turn out to be a really exciting trainwreck.

Even if the show doesn't take off, this cover was pretty spectacular. Check it out below.

No comments: