Friday, May 15, 2009

Track Review: "Everytime I'm With You"

Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse's upcoming "mystery project", Dark Night of the Soul (which is available steaming in full, weeks before its scheduled release at NPR Music) is going to blow us away and easily take the cake as one of the most intriguingly mysterious and dark releases of the year. I promise you that. As a bonus when ordering the album, over at their official site, you get a booklet of photographs taken by David Lynch himself corresponding with each track. Each and every song is completely well arranged, and I am almost astounded by how well put together this album really is. With contributions from Nina Persson of The Cardigans, The Flaming Lips, James Mercer of The Shins, Frank Black of Pixies, Vic Chestnutt, Julian Casablancas of The Strokes, Suzanne Vega, Jason Lytle of Grandaddy, Iggy Pop, and Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals, it's hard to say no to this one. The album fills us up with wonderfully squirmy lyrics and a great balance of dark cabaret, rock, and occasionally glitch throughout each song and as big of a Grandaddy fan as I am, Jason Lytle's contributions were nothing short of breathtaking. Especially "Everytime I'm With You". It sounds like something out of a 1940's cabaret, and the beat rolls itself in to accompany the muffled organ-like lead. Jason's occasionally gargling voice, reminding me of how much I miss Grandaddy, joins with some refreshing lyrics and a melody that flows perfectly with the eeriness of the song from its start to its abrupt and unfortunate end. This album and most especially this track will always have a place in my chest, in constant embrace with my heart.

Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse - "Everytime I'm With You (feat. Jason Lytle)" (download)

No comments: