Friday, May 29, 2009

YE-LID News: The Forcefield Kids Drop EP, YE-LID Writer Resists Urge To Drop Obvious Star Wars Reference

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I've had this strange urge to visit England recently. Maybe it's because I have family there I could stay with for cheap, maybe it's because I really want one of their accents. Regardless, the country has been on my brain lately.

Newcastle alt hip-hoppers The Forcefield Kids are finally ready to release the Home EP, and on first listen it's well worth the wait. Their style is dark and dingy, beats sounding like they're emanating from a deep well. Stain's flow is sharp throughout. FK appear to be making a conscious effort to separate themselves from the UK rap scene while at the same time sounding unmistakably British, which is a difficult task that they pull off quite well.

The mind-numbing "Little Miss Star" is still my favourite song on here - and still one of my favourite songs of 2009 - which isn't an indictment of the EP, as there are definitely some stellar tracks. Check one of them below.

The Forcefield Kids - "Since We Last Spoke" (Download)

No comments: