Thursday, June 11, 2009

Billboard Thursday: Pitbull - "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I've been a fan of Pitbull for a while. His older material, which was full of club-ready tracks, stood as a reminder of how talented he was but also how under-appreciated he had become. He was spitting straight fire, and no one was really paying attention. I guess because of this, he's recently reincarnated himself as someone aiming for the Billboard charts. He rapped over Alex Gaudino's "Calabria", he did a track with Lil Jon, and now he's finally managed to break through to [near] the top with "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)".

The problem I have with this track isn't that it's not catchy, because it is. My problem is that it reeks of desperation, like a rapper who's sick of producing quality material for a small audience and has decided to produce shit for a larger audience. He's just done so much better before.

And that's...all I can really say about this. You'll dance to it at the club, you'll smile when it comes on the radio, and then the second it loses airplay you'll forget it ever existed. Congrats on your hit, Pitbull.

No comments: