Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Track Review: A lazer blast right to my ear.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I wrote off Major Lazer pretty early. In case you haven't heard, Major Lazer is the project undertaken by Diplo and Switch which relies heavily on reggae and dancehall influences. It also centers around a fictional main character who, from what I can tell by listening to the album, shoots things with his gun-arm and gets bitches in the process. Or something to that effect. Call me a video game nerd, but I think I've seen this character before.

Regardless, after hearing "Hold The Line" I came away unimpressed. But then I heard "When You Hear The Bassline", and my interest returned. Quickly. It's a dancehall banger, producing images of big booty-ed women winding up and down like they've never winded before. It's hard, it's fast, it's rough, and - like the rest of Guns Don't Kill People...Lazers Do - it's fucking FUN.

Oh, and it made me re-listen to "Hold The Line", which I then realized was one of the most exhilarating songs of the year. Thanks, Ms. Thing.

Check the mp3 below, and pick up the album (which dropped yesterday) here.

Major Lazer Feat. Ms Thing - "When You Hear The Bassline" (Download)

3 comments:

Dansmell said...

I'm so glad you ended up liking them! I love them and their album "Guns Don't Kill People, Lazers Do"
They're actually gonna be at the Sound Garden in Baltimore on Saturday (6/20). Definitely check that out!!!

Major iTunes said...

Major Lazer @ iTunes here: http://bit.ly/2zirn

Anonymous said...

"producing images of big booty-ed women winding up and down like they've never winded before."

That's racist.