Thursday, July 2, 2009

Billboard Thursday: Jay-Z - "D.O.A. (Death Of Auto-Tune)"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This Thursday is an interesting one for me. "D.O.A. (Death Of Auto-Tune)" isn't supposed to be a hit song - Jay-Z says as much - and yet here it is, zooming up the charts. I view "D.O.A." as more of a mission statement. It's the king of rap stepping down from his throne for a moment to wave his finger like a disappointed father.

He's sleepwalking through most of the verses here. Because honestly, "I know we facin' a recession / But the music y'all makin gonna make it the great depression," is a lame ass line. But like he says, this ain't meant for iTunes. This is a public service announcement. He's pretty much saying, "Hey guys. Grow a pair." And I can respect that.

There's not much else to say about "D.O.A.", really. It serves it's purpose by making it known that auto-tune is over and Jay-Z still exists. Whether or not this actually does kill auto-tune is an interesting question, but frankly, if I had Jay-Z calling me out on my lack of balls, I'd probably shut the fuck up and start rapping again.

No comments: