Thursday, July 16, 2009

Billboard Thursday: Mariah Carey - "Obsessed"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"I can see right through you like you bathin' in Windex."

That line alone is really enough to sell me on this song, Mariah's new single "Obsessed". Outside of that though, "Obsessed" is endlessly catchy in all it's "Blame It"-ness, and a nice change up from the "Touch My Body"'s of the Mariah world. Not that this is some kind of uptempo party jam, but Carey sounds like she's having fun here. Most of the material on E=MC2 was pretty robotic, but this sounds pretty free.

It's presumably some Eminem diss track, and while I'm not quite sure where it's coming from, Mariah hasn't sounded this in charge for a while. This is her attempting to climb back into the ranks of chart Queendom, and at least with "Obsessed" it seems to be working. Do I think she'll manage to stand up against the Lady Gaga's of the world? I don't really know. But this feels like a good enough start.

No comments: