Monday, July 6, 2009

Just Listen: Blane Fonda

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The name Blane Fonda confused me. I assumed that this was a singular performer who's parents were at fault for the kind of name that conjures up images of cheesy 80s workout videos. Luckily for me, Blane Fonda is actually a post-punk (I like to use these terms at random without truly knowing what they mean) five-piece out of Chicago and I love cheesy 80s workout videos.

Their sound his very high energy, with hooks galore and a vocalist who is kind of a marriage between Patrick Wolf and Reggie Youngblood of Black Kids. Black Kids may be a pretty good reference point, come to think of it, with Blane Fonda being the jaded older cousin who scoffs at the squeaky cleanliness of Black Kids' sound. I say this because Blane Fonda's songs cram a lot of noise into them, which, in my opinion, adds to their appeal.

I feel like these guys would be excellent live, so if you're in the Chicago area do try and check them out. And if you're like most of the world and not in the Chicago area, just view the video below.




Blane Fonda - "Opportunity Rocks" (Download)

No comments: