Thursday, October 15, 2009

Billboard Thursday: Ke$ha - "TiK ToK"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Two unbelievably amazing things happened today in Billboard-land.

1. In a shocking (but kind of wonderful) twist, Britney Spears' "3" premiered at #1. I don't know if this is surprising to everyone or just me, but regardless it's pretty incredible. I figured after "Radar" had middling results that Brit was probably done for 2009, but apparently not.

2. My favourite nonsense pop song of the year has popped up on the charts, and I COULD NOT BE MORE PLEASED.

Ke$ha is like...I don't even know how to describe her. She can't really sing (as evidenced by the auto-tune), she can't really rap (as evidenced by...the rapping), and she can't really dance (as evidenced by the hilariously under-budgeted video below). Nope, Ke$ha (and yes, that dollar sign is necessary) is surviving based on sheer force of personality, and she's doing a fucking awesome job of it.

My other favourite off-the-wall pop song of 2009, Electrik Red's "We Fuck You", is a wholly different entity from "Tik Tok"; whereas "We Fuck You" tries to overpower you, "Tik Tok" invites you into it's bizarre world of debauchery. The GaGa influences are there, clearly, but I'm not mad; more "Just Dance" rip-offs should be this fun, this mindless, this engaging.

I don't think a better party-starter has been put out this year. Don't believe me? I dare you to put this on around your friends and see what happens. Because in my experience, it generally leads to a damn good time.

No comments: