Sunday, October 18, 2009

Show Stopper: Daniel Johnston

Yesterday evening, I managed to get myself a ticket for Daniel Johnston's early show at The Mod Club in Toronto. Not sure what I was expecting exactly, but after listening to his latest record Is And Always Was (buy here) about 5 times in the past few days, I knew that I would absolutely enjoy this experience. I wasn't wrong.

Unfortunately getting there too late to catch any of the opening bands, I managed to get a nice view of the stage once Daniel started his set. Half of which was him and a guitar, playing some classics like "Hey Joe" and a great rendition of The Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" in which everyone in the building joined in. It brought on such an uplifting feeling, which I'm sure we all felt strongly.

He took a short break and was back on, this time with a full band backing him up. He played some greats from the new release, like "Fake Records of Rock n' Roll", "Mind Movies", "Light of Day", "Tears" and threw in a cover of John Lennon's "Jealous Guy" for good measure. After he left the stage, the crowd begins chanting 'Daniel!' and he comes out with one last gift for us all, in the form of "True Love Will Find You In The End". The whole atmosphere of the show, left everyone with warm hearts and brilliant smiles. It is and always was an experience I'll surely not forget.

Daniel Johnston - "Tears" (download)

Sidenote: Daniel also left the audience with a reason for more excitement, as another new record will be completed very shortly. Yay!

No comments: