Thursday, November 5, 2009

Billboard Thursday: Lady Gaga - "Bad Romance"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"Just Dance" I loved immediately, but it took me a little while to warm up to "Poker Face". Given that "Bad Romance" is definitely cut from the "Poker Face" cloth, I'm also considering it a bit of a grower. It doesn't have the immediate appeal of something like, say, "Lovegame", but all the elements are there for another #1 hit, which is why it debuted at #9 on the charts this week.

I'm still unsure of how I feel about all the "la-la-roma-roma" shit at the beginning, but I imagine it's the kind of weirdness that will eventually become necessary to the "Bad Romance" sing-alongs. I enjoy the background electro flourishes stolen right out of a Bloody Beetroots song, and the chorus is as epic as one would expect from a new Gaga single.

While I'm not crazy excited about the song in and of itself, it's likely because I've heard better songs off The Fame Monster already, namely the drop-dead gorgeous electro beast that is "Alejandro". "Bad Romance" will play well in clubs, though, which is more than we can say for a lot of attempted club music these days.

No comments: